The Foundation

Who we are and where we are

The Levis Plona Foundation is a public, recognized, and equal school (Ministerial Decree of February 27, 2001, and April 13, 2001) with a bilingual Italian-English curriculum. It includes a Nursery School and a Primary School.

The school is open to everyone, within the numerical limits established by current legislation and the Institute’s internal regulations. Enrolled students come from various areas of the city and from other municipalities.

It is located at Contrà Santa Croce n.55 in Vicenza, near the Church of the Carmini, along the city’s Scaliger walls. A short walk of a few hundred meters along Corso Fogazzaro leads to the historic city center.

History

The district of Santa Croce and its imposing gate, dating from the second half of the 14th century, take their name from the ancient Church dedicated to the Holy Cross (Santa Croce). The origins of the convent, together with the hospice and the Church of the Hospitallers or Crociferi of Santa Croce, date back to the mid-12th century; they dedicated themselves to assisting the poor and sick on behalf of the city.

In the mid-17th century, the convent of S. Croce was ceded by the Pope to the Republic of Venice, which in 1657 sold it to the Dimesse Sisters. The convent became private property following the Napoleonic reforms which suppressed, between 1806 and 1810, convents, monasteries, and religious institutes in the city. From 1809, Mrs. Teresa Levis and her brother Andrea (1761-1839) established a boarding school there for girls deemed in need of assistance and education. The name of the Levis family was later joined by that of the philanthropist from Vicenza, Girolamo Plona (1777-1841). In November 1844, the former Convent of the Dimesse was purchased using the proceeds from the two legacies of Levis and Plona. The purchase was followed by significant renovation work to meet the needs of the future school and attached boarding house, as determined by the will of the two testators. Indeed, it was Teresa Levis’s immediate intention that the complex should house a school and commit to the education of children, especially the poor of the city, as well as a boarding house for single women, thus continuing the tradition of hospitality that had centered on the Santa Croce area for centuries. In 1875, the administration of the Work was entrusted to the archpriest of the Cathedral and the parish priest of Santa Croce (now the Carmini), while the Daughters of Charity, also known as Canossians, were called upon to provide assistance and teaching in the nursery and elementary schools. They remained until 1987, when they were replaced by lay staff. By royal decree on March 2, 1879, the Opera Pia Levis-Plona was recognized as a non-profit legal entity; it was subsequently assimilated into the Public Institutions of Assistance and Charity. In 2003, it became a Foundation with its own statutes, still derived from the wishes of the two testators: Andrea Levis and Giacomo Plona.

In 2007, the management of the church was granted by the Diocese of Vicenza to the Moldovan Orthodox community of Saint Nicholas, which has been present in the city since 2005.

Above the school’s entrance gate and the access arch to the parking lot (now transferred to CEMES), there are two ancient emblems depicting three small Latin crosses on as many mounds (dating from 1575-1597). These are the symbols of the Crociferi Fathers (or Hospitaller Fathers).

Some traces of the original church remain due to various renovations; the most prestigious work is the school entrance designed by the famous architect Francesco A. Muttoni. The bust placed at the school entrance depicts the Master General of the Crociferi, the Vicentine Bishop Giovanni Chiericati (c. 1475-1550).

LEVIS PLONA TODAY.

The Foundation, of which the Bishop of Vicenza is Honorary President, is led by a Board of Directors composed of two members appointed by the Bishop and a third designated by them. The school director and a parent representative also participate in the life of the institution, confirming the bond with the community.

Today, the Levis Plona Foundation continues a tradition of education and service in the Santa Croce district that is rooted in the history of the site: through the centuries, from June 18, 1167, when assistance was provided to the poor, sick, and pilgrims within the Borgo di Santa Croce, until today, our institution has been dedicated to welcoming all those who turn to it to give a Gospel-inspired meaning to human existence.